Where to borrow your email marketing ideas from
In the light of the Email Experience Council's launch of a new award for email marketing campaigns (details and nomination forms here), it's time to revisit all those places you can get inspiration and ideas from.
Until the EEC award is announced in February 2008, this means...
- MarketingSherpa Email Awards. See 39 winning campaigns from the 2007 awards and 38 from 2006.
- ClickZ Marketing Excellence Awards. The awards from 2003-2006 include links to winners in email campaign and/or email newsletter categories. The 2007 awards were about defining achievements of the decade. Can-Spam won the email category. An "interesting" choice.
- LISTSERV Choice awards. These ran for two years and you can see case studies of the winners here.
- Internet Advertising Competition produced by the Web Marketing Association. Each year has numerous awards for use of email in different industries. Use the entry search facility at the bottom of this page to find relevant links from 2007 and previous years.
- ad:tech Annual Awards. There's a best email marketing campaign among the many categories. Last year's winners are listed at the awards site.
Design galleries and screenshots
- Campaign Monitor's Email Design Gallery, which you can browse by column layout and email type.
- eROI's The Email Wars blog often posts screenshots and analysis of good and bad campaign examples. See the best of email and worst of email categories.
- The Smith-Harmon blog regularly reviews email direct marketing creative.
- The author of the above blog also posts creative reviews in the Make it Pop section of the EEC's site.
- The EEC's Chad White monitors retailer emails and includes numerous screenshots and analysis as part of his RetailEmail.Blogspot blog.
Case study collections
- The biggest collection with screenshots included is at MarketingSherpa, who currently list 181 email marketing case studies. You need to register to access them (there's a free trial, after which you pay a membership fee.)
- Case studies appear irregularly at DMNews and Chief Marketer, but usually with less detail than the Sherpa articles.
- Email marketing case studies from around the web are listed here, with sub-categories for B2B, B2C, travel and non-profit.
Tags: email marketing, email design, email marketing case studies, email marketing awards
Comments closed for this post